Suggestions, Comments and Complaints

Southway Surgery welcomes any feedback, suggestions or complaints.

We always aim to provide the best care we can. However, we know that sometimes things can go wrong. When this happens we believe that is it often most effective to sort problems out quickly and informally.

Our aim is to provide the highest level of care for all our patients. We will always be willing to hear if there is any way that you think that we can improve the service we provide.

The Complaints Process

Talk to us

Every patient has the right to make a complaint about the treatment or care they have received at Southway Surgery.

We understand that we may not always get everything right and, by telling us about the problem you have encountered, we will be able to improve our services and patient experience.

Who to talk to

Most complaints can be resolved at a local level. Please speak to a member of staff if you have a complaint; our staff are trained to handle complaints. Alternatively, ask to speak to the complaint’s manager, Amy Bate (Business Manager).

If for any reason you do not want to speak to a member of our staff, then you can request that NHS England investigates your complaint. They will contact us on your behalf:

NHS England
PO BOX 16738
B97 9PT

03003 112233

[email protected]

A complaint can be made verbally or in writing. Additionally, you can complain via email to [email protected].

Time frames for complaints

The time constraint on bringing a complaint is 12 months from the occurrence giving rise to the complaint, or 12 months from the time you become aware of the matter about which you wish to complain.

The Business Manager will respond to all complaints within 14 business days to confirm receipt.

We will aim to investigate and provide you with the findings and will provide regular updates regarding the investigation of your complaint.

Investigating complaints

Southway Surgery will investigate all complaints effectively and in conjunction with extant legislation and guidance.


Southway Surgery will ensure that all complaints are investigated with the utmost confidentiality and that any documents are held separately from the patient’s healthcare record.

Third party complaints

Southway Surgery allows a third party to make a complaint on behalf of a patient. The patient must provide consent for them to do so.

Final response

Southway Surgery will issue a final formal response to all complainants which will provide full details and the outcome of the complaint. We will liaise with you about the progress of any complaint.

Advocacy support

    • Local Council can give advice on local advocacy services

Further action

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint from either NHS England or this organisation then you can escalate your complaint to Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) at either:

Milbank Tower, Milbank


Citygate, Mosley Street
M2 3HQ

Tel: 0345 015 4033

PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

The NHS employs over a million staff in thousands of locations. It is a large and complex organisation providing a broad range of services.
It is not surprising that sometimes you or a loved one may feel bewildered or concerned when using the NHS and this can be at times when you are feeling at your most vulnerable and anxious. So, what should you do if you want on the spot help when using the health service?

The NHS expects all members of staff to listen and respond to you to the best of their ability. But sometimes, you may wish to talk to someone employed especially to help you. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service, known as PALS, has been introduced to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, and answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible. PALS also help the NHS to improve services by listening to what matters to patients and their loved ones and making changes, when appropriate.

What Does PALS Do?

In particular, PALS will:

    • Provide you with information about the NHS and help you with any other health-related enquiry

    • Help resolve concerns or problems when you are using the NHS

    • Provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and how to get independent help if you decide you may want to make a complaint

    • Provide you with information and help introduce you to agencies and support groups outside the NHS

    • Inform you about how you can get more involved in your own healthcare and the NHS locally Improve the NHS by listening to your concerns, suggestions and experiences and ensuring that people who design and manage services are aware of the issues you raise

    • Provide an early warning system for NHS Trusts and monitoring bodies by identifying problems or gaps in services and reporting them

You can contact the Patient and Complaints Team on:

    • Text for a call back: 07789 741099

Issues solely about services at NHS GP’s dentist’s opticians or pharmacies should call on 03003 112233 who provide information and advice service and a complaint handling service.

Chemist Complaints

Should you have a particular problem with a chemist, please talk to them as we are not responsible for their errors and cannot prevent them.

Car Park

We are not responsible for the management of the car park outside of the surgery.

Should you have a complaint about it, you should contact Plymouth City Council.